So, I decided to play along last Friday night and be apart of the monthly sew-in. I picked up an unfinished project and sat down with some old Friends episodes with the plan to sew the night away and get a lot of ground covered.
I cut and trimmed and sectioned together smaller strips to be made into a four strip half of a row. In the end, I would put two rows together to create a picket fence. It’s a small project, for beginners and newbies like me to get some experience with picket fences and a little applique.
Everything seemed to be going as planned. For a little while…
Then I went ahead and put together my first complete square and got this. Sigh…
From this angle it doesn’t seem so bad but from the side you’ll see what I’m sighing at.
See how it knots up in the center? Sigh…
As it would seem, I’m still very much a beginner. In sewing together so many swatches with pressed seams laying in opposition to each other, it would appear that I have sewn a large lump along my middle seam.
Luckily it’s an easy fix. I just tear the seams out and start over. And because I’m so anxious to move along and see some progress that looks remotely like the end result, I haven’t even sewn together all the individual squares to make up the larger picket fences. Double sigh…
The lesson for today: SLOW DOWN!
Take it step at a time and done’t get ahead of yourself.
Or you’ll end up with this…
A project with un-cut squares waiting patiently to be minced into long strips.
Strips cut but waiting to be sewn together.
Strips sewn together into a smaller aquare that are now waiting to be trimmed and added to another smaller square.
And squares sewn together to create rows.
Oh and one attempt at rows sewn together to create one large “finished” square.
I need to clean this mess up, organize what I’ve begun and start over.