Last weekend was our opening ceremonies for my son’s soccer season. We’re lucky, he’s got the same coach as he had his first season playing so we know it’ll be a good experience. He’s really gifted with the coaching.
This year I’ve signed up to be the co-team mom. A part of my job was to help build the team banner. We had to have it all done by September 6th so that we could parade it on opening day and enter it to be judged. I got lucky and my partner in crime was my perfect match. We worked really well together and made a great little banner that we’re both proud of!
Together we picked a design then delegated out the jobs. She set to cutting all the small items like the flaming soccer balls and stars.
I worked on sewing together the banner background. It’s the same material I used on my Peaceful Planet quilt. She saw it when during a visit to my place and instantly thought that would make a GREAT background. I did a simple zig zag stitch around the edge to make the pocket where the frame would slide into.
After a week of working separately, we came together at practice one night and decided on the layout. Once we had in mind what we wanted, we set to tacky gluing down all the bits and pieces. We got lucky, the day wasn’t very windy so we didn’t have to race against the weather to get everything laid out.
After practice, I took it home to do all the writing. Using puffy paint (Yay puffy paint!!) I wrote the coaches names and all the players numbers. My only disappointment here was that the numbers don’t stand out very clearly against the soccer balls. They are done in red but my lines weren’t thick enough. Had I thought about it, I would have drawn or traced some block numbers to make them a little thicker. I also added some sparkle to the flames.
At the next practice I brought the banner with me and we worked together to position the lettering for the team name. To balance it out, we framed the name with two soccer balls. Also, because lining things up would have taken more time than we had, we decided to scatter the letter in different directions. I think this worked out perfectly! With the wonky spacing and organization of the letters, you can’t tell if one is too high or too low. Instead it looks planned and kinda cooky! We liked it!
Opening day came and we were pretty proud to parade our banner out there in front of all the other coaches, players, and parents. Our parents couldn’t say enough nice things about the outcome. I think everyone was happily impressed with the overall look and feel. It was handmade but not messy and it came together so easily for us. Working together was awesome and definitely made the whole process easier and super enjoyable.
And, if my information is correct, we may have come in second place!!! We don’t have a confirmation on that yet but I should know by tomorrow after our first game!
Go Star Destroyers!!!
And while this isn’t a crafty finish or a physically tangible finish, today is my last day of work at my job. Seven years ago I took on a position at my family business to support my son and to help out my dad. This summer I made the decision to look into teaching in my district even though I hadn’t been in a classroom these past seven years.
Low and behold, I was offered a position and I start September 22nd. I’m excited, nervous, anxious and a little sad to see the end of my job with my family. Not everyone gets the chance to see their dad, siblings, a few uncles, and some cousins everyday, Monday through Friday. The notion that I won’t get to say good morning to my dad is heartbreaking but I’m so excited to teach again.
So today I finished my time at Nowell Steel to move on to bigger dreams.