Right before we left for QuiltCon, the second block in the Splendid Sampler quilt-along popped up in my feed. I printed it out, diligently placed it in my quilting folder (a huge 4 in binder with plastic sheet covers waiting to be filled), then I promptly forgot all about it as we trekked off to Pasadena to enjoy the convention.
But I couldn’t forget for long as people within the Facebook group slowly started to share their creations and I got hungry to get home and work on my own block. Once I got home and things got settled, I sat down to work on what looked to be my toughest challenge yet!
While the little black dress 2 set wasn’t my first choice, I’m loving it now!
I especially love it mixed with these extra fabrics, all from my stash.
This pattern was overwhelming at first. There are so many teeny tiny blocks. I’ve never worked with anything this little and I was at first worried. Could I pull this off? Well, I wouldn’t know till I tried. So I made some notes and decided to take on this block in whatever way I thought would work better for me.
So I made the butterfly squares first. I knew my butterfly wings would be made with this solid maroon fabric and once I put them against some fabrics in my set I’d get an idea how to piece the rest. Looking at the instructions the pattern meant nothing to me without assigning some value to the squares.
I got all the winged squares done and took a break for the night. Working on such small squares really makes me tense up my shoulders so I can only work for so long before I need a break.
And look at those points!!!
I put so much into each square, working to make sure each point met and each seam was pressed open.
My mini Omnigrid ruler and my purple thang really were the rockstars of this project. They helped me align things properly before trimming each block and also helped me check that my seams were a true 1/4 inch.
While I worked on finishing this block, blocks 3 and 4 came out and I was feeling the pressure to get moving. So I made the executive decision not to make the remaining four blocks out of individual squares but instead to make it just a single solid block.
I think that was a good decision. In the end it streamlined the project and finished the block entirely in one afternoon.
There are only two issues I have with this block that can be easily remedied. First, the four corners don’t seem balanced with the way I placed them. I matched the right sided butterflies together in color and orientation but that didn’t give me the look I wanted overall. It’s livable…but it’s bugging me. I may pull that row apart.
And then my one seam (ONE SEAM) didn’t match up. Just the one…
Overall the block looks good and I’m proud of all my hard work to get this block together. I didn’t let the size of the blocks keep me from working through the steps and making such a cute block.
Like us on Facebook: Hobbies Up To Here
Subscribe to us on iTunes: Hobbies Up To Here
Check out our YouTube channel: Katie V. with Hobbies Up To Here
Tune in for some Periscope fun: Katie V.
And follow us on BlogLovin: Hobbies Up To Here
Pop by on Instagram: Hobbies Up To Here