Months ago, my son had a little money burning a hole in his pocket. It went everywhere with him and he was always looking for something to spend it on.
Then we went to a craft show to check out all the tools and goodies displayed. While there Jake found a Darth Vader quilt kit for about $20. He bought it and took it home with the big idea to work on it with me.
We started together in March. I did the cutting and pressing. He did the sewing. I was really impressed with his ability to sew straight although he did get a little bored at one point. I asked him to just sit through it and get the top done. Then I’d take over.
And he did! He stuck it out and completed his first top. And look at those points!!!
Then the quilt sat for some time. More my fault than his. I had little free time to do it and I, too, get bored easily. I’ve never been good at sticking it through a whole project from beginning to end in a decent amount of time but I do try.
This past Thanksgiving I got the bug to really spruce up my craft room and get a few projects done And the first to get marked off that list: Darth Vader!
The quilting is simply straight lines on the diagonal. I also switched between red in one direction and white in the other. Sort of like the Dark Side versus the Light.
Of course, even though I did the finishing, I consider it Jake’s quilt. He did the piecing, he bought the package, and he will be the one to use it. And check out how proud he is!
Now I quilted to the very edge of the borders so it gives the back a nice clean, finished look. The stitching goes all the way to the end of the binding from the back. There is something I really like about this, and I can’t quite out my finger on it. But it’s pretty awesome looking.
I did the binding different this time. I rolled the backing fabric over to the front, glued it down, and hot pressed it together. Then did a simple straight line around the edge. And I have to say, it was a fairly easy process and gave it a very smooth look.
Even the mitered corners look crisp! I used a simple Elmer’s glue stick to first fold over the back to covered that raw edge. Then I smeared a little glue on the folded binding and pressed it with the iron onto the front of the quilt. I did use my Wonder Clips to hold it into place but I didn’t need it, honestly. The heat from the iron and the glue held really well.
Another shot, this time from the back. See how neat that is? A simple binding line and I don’t have that spot where I had to tuck the binding into itself. Instead it’s just a clean straight fold.
And with the quilting coming to the edge and folding over to the front, some of the ends dot the binding and the effect is kinda cool. Almost like stars in the galaxy peaking out of the dark skies.
The little man is pleased to have a quilt and I’m so proud that we did it together. There is another quilt in the books!
Check out our side bar for some great quilting link ups! This post will be linked over at Crazy Mom Quilts.
And if you want to hear our most recent podcast, definitely check out Episode #56 where we discuss Birds in the Air by Frances O’Roark Dowell!
Like us on Facebook: Hobbies Up To Here
Subscribe to us on iTunes: Hobbies Up To Here
Check out our YouTube channel: Katie V. with Hobbies Up To Here
Tune in for some Periscope fun: Katie V.
And follow us on BlogLovin: Hobbies Up To Here
Pop by on Instagram: Hobbies Up To Here